Category: Post-Decree Motions

Brown Law Office
February 21, 2018

Post-Decree Motions: When You Have to Go Back to Court After Divorce

When you finalized your divorce, you assumed that your forays into the courtroom environment were over for good. Unfortunately, like many divorcees, you face changed circumstances. Depending on your situation, it may be possible to change aspects of your divorce agreement. Keep reading to learn more about post-decree options in Minnesota:  

Read More

Brown Law Office
January 17, 2016

How Many Lawyers are Needed for MN Family Law Issues?

Most of the time, life within a family is a positive, united experience. Still, as with many aspects of life, some or all family members need to undergo some type of legal process at one point or another. This does not mean that every situation requires a team of Minneapolis family lawyers. There are definitely times when one skilled lawyer can help get a process completed efficiently.

Read More

Brown Law Office
September 21, 2013

Post-Decree Motions in Minnesota : An Overview of the Relevant Legal Standards

Post-decree motions vary in terms of complexity and the elements necessary to meet the relevant burden of proof: Custody: Must show that a child is either: (1) integrated into non-custodial parent’s home; or (2) custodial parent’s home environment endangers child. Parenting Time: Must show modification of schedule serves best interest of the child. Out of State Move: Must show best interest of the child is served by relocation. Court will examine purpose of move, nature of relationship among non-custodial parent and child, and ability to …

Read More

Brown Law Office
November 19, 2012

Motions to Move out of State: New Standards

One change that has occurred in Minnesota law in recent years is found in the statute pertaining to relocation out of state with a minor child. Under the old law, the non-moving parent had the burden of proof when it came to explaining to the court why the child shouldn’t be taken out of state. Now, however, it is the moving parent who has burden of proof; they must prove why such a move serves the best interest of the child.

Read More


View more

Contact Us

Brown Law Offices, P.A.

11125 Zealand Avenue North
Champlin, MN 55316

T. (763) 323-6555 | F. (763) 323-6988

View on Google Maps



If you are facing a difficult divorce or family law issue, contact our law firm for answers.