Consuming alcohol under the legal age of 21 is a crime, and can be punished harshly. If you are facing minor consumption charges in the state Minnesota, you need the assistance of an experienced attorney.

Understanding Minor Consumption Charges

A minor consumption charge is not something to take lightly. Although many people have the attitude that underage drinking is okay “because everyone does it,” a minor consumption conviction can have a serious impact on your life.

When a minor is caught consuming, possessing, or attempting to purchase alcohol, he or she can be charged with a misdemeanor that results in jail time up to 90 days, and a fine of up to $1,000. A minor consumption conviction can also lead to probation, a suspended driver’s license, and more.

The penalty for minor consumption varies widely, and there are many factors taken into consideration:

  • First-time or repeat offender;
  • Quantity of alcohol consumed;
  • Whether or not any reckless behavior occurred;
  • If the defendant was driving; and
  • Age of the individual involved.

Those caught drinking underage are not the only ones subject to punishment. Anyone who provides or sells alcohol to a minor can be charged with a gross misdemeanor, or even a felony, depending on the circumstances. This can lead to serious jail time, and heavy fines. This is especially true if any bodily harm occurs as a result of minor consumption.

Minor Consumption Defense Lawyer

If you are caught consuming alcohol under legal age, you need an experienced defense lawyer on your side. Without a lawyer, you may be subject to the maximum penalties, which can include probation, fines, and jail time. Your defense lawyer will immediately build your case, so you can (hopefully) avoid a conviction, or punishment.

Although it may seem harmless, minor consumption can have a lasting impact on your life. You can be kicked out of school, or find it difficult to find employment. With the right lawyer on your side, you will be able to avoid this fate, and have a better chance at succeeding in your future pursuits.

Always A Free Consultation

If you are charged with minor consumption, you need the help of an attorney. At the Brown Law Offices, P.A., we have helped many people avoid the penalties associated with a minor consumption. Our attorneys are prepared to defend you, so you can go on living your life. Don’t let a minor consumption conviction affect your future pursuits. Call us today at 763-323-6555, or complete our online form for a free consultation.