Minnesota takes every allegation of child abuse or child endangerment seriously. This often means a thorough investigation – during which a child can actually be removed from the care of his, or her, parents. If you have been accused of the mistreatment of your child, our CHIPS attorneys in Minnesota can help.
A child in need of protective services (CHIPS) case occurs whenever there is suspicion of abuse, or maltreatment. This can include:
- Physical abuse that leads to injury such as bruises, broken bones, and burns;
- Sexual abuse of any kind;
- Emotional abuse;
- Neglect, especially in regards to food, clothing, shelter, or medical care;
- Lack of supervision;
- Failure to protect a child from harm; or
- Use of alcohol or drugs by a parent in a way that negatively affects the needs of a child
If any of the above are present are suspected, a child protection investigation will likely be pursued. The consequences of this investigation can have a long-lasting impact on both the parents, and the children.
A child protection investigation is a very trying time, and can include many different elements. If you are suspected or accused of child abuse or mistreatment, you will typically be subject to:
- Phone calls and meetings with child protection workers;
- Routine visits to your home;
- Interviews with your child; or
- Interviews with doctors, teachers, and other experts who may know you and your children
In many cases involving a child in need of protective services claim, the parents are viewed as “guilty” right from the start. Society often assumes the worst, even before the investigation has run its course. By immediately contacting our qualified CHIPS attorneys in Minnesota, you can save yourself from embarrassment – and help preserve your family.
One of the most important things you can do during a child protection investigation is cooperate. It can often be difficult to understand why you are being subjected to this sort of treatment. However, with a lawyer on your side, you can be better prepared for the process.
Schedule A Confidential Consultation
If you are involved in a case involving CHIPS, you need the assistance of our experienced child protective services lawyers in Minnesota. The family law attorneys with the Brown Law Offices, P.A., have helped many parents keep their families intact. We will work hard to make sure you don’t lose your children. Don’t fight alone. Call 763-323-6555 to speak with our attorneys, or complete our online consultation form.